Nutrition and Supplementation for the Masters Athlete
74 year old Courtney Stanley….”What is this guy eating ??… I believe Nutrition is extremely important (Critical) to longevity and strength.” Everything I ingest has a specific purpose. The supplement brands below are chosen for their quality/purity….they may not be the cheapest…but you want the best right?? …and of course it does take a little work to assemble all the ingredients and ingest them at the right times and with the correct foods. I have eliminated all unnecessary medicines except Levothyroxine that I must take for my Thyroid. Back spasms from Spinal Stenosis Pain is managed through reduction of pro-inflammatory foods and substances as well as adding High Dose Astaxanthin (12mg.), plus athletic activity. I am now using the Carivore Diet! (As of Feb 2020)
I had a Heart Attack on June 30, 2018. and had a single stent placed. Stuff happens! All my Lab values were good and I was in excellent health. Dr’s. don’t know why, but blamed it on Genetics…”bad luck”. Not Diet or Lifestyle. This assumption ignores Mitochondrial function. I don’t believe it was bad luck…rather, some questionable supplement choices and Diet selections. I looked healthy but had some serious health issues.
Most of the major diseases we’re currently treating with harsh and toxic drugs can potentially be solved with proper nutritional intervention that addresses your choice of cellular fuels.
Now using “Intermittent-fasting“…This is critical for proper mitochondrial function (Respiration) Please look this up as it is the most critical issue in a successful defensive strategy against Cancer-Diabetes-Alzheimer’s and most other acquired lifestyle diseases. I try to get into Autophagy and Mitophagy (think cellular respiration and cleaning) everyday, if possible.
Don’t let age corrupt your well being and lifestyle….I didn’t want to retire and live as an invalid, so some work and personal education was necessary to prevent this from overtaking me. Dropping weight, adding Cardio, eliminating NSAIDS, No Steroids of ANY kind, No Dairy, avoiding sugar, lowering stress levels, etc. Since making this change my blood profiles have normalized, Resting HR dropped to the 40’s, BP at 115-120/70 area, Body weight at 198, lipid profiles normal…in short all labs back to where they should have been.
Let’s take a look at my daily intake of food and supplements.
- MCT Oil ( Caprylic Acid C-8 ) 14g (Tbsp.) ..absolutely essential fat for fuel this may be increased to as much as three tablespoons. Goes in Pre-workout shakes only.
- L-Glycine Powder 1gm x 1-2 times a day ….Essential Amino and great glyphosate detox.
- L-Leucine Powder 8-10gm split into two servings….Essential Amino for Preserving Muscle
- 1/2-1 Teaspoon Ginger …anti cancer..anti-inflammatory
- Optivite Areds-2 with Lutein and Zeaxanthin 6mg. (15mg. Zinc/2mg. Copper – small amount of Vit C and E) AMD.
- Astaxanthin (antioxidant) 12mg (Sports Research): Most potent anti-inflammatory– Allowed me to stop taking NSAIDS !! (Crosses Blood/Brain Barrier)
- Magnesium KAL® Chelated Glycinate 400mg (This brand has been tested for Heavy Metals/Pesticides/Microbes etc.)
- Vitamin B Complex ‘plus’ ( Thorne) Methyl folate added to formula -Energy – Brain Health – Cell health.
- Selenium 100mcg.(200mcg is too much) ..KAL® Selenium is absolutely essential ( Take at last meal ) (**Note: Zinc is included in my Eye Health supplement) No Selenium on days I eat Liver.
- Ubiquinol 400mg. (Qunol Brand) (Split into 2 doses-200mg. ea. on workout day…one dose on rest day) Mitochondrial Health-Energy fuel.This is better than CoQ10 for older folks!
- Vitamin D-3 ( 5000IU ) Complex (Sports-Research) ( Bone – Heart – Sleep – Anti Cancer. ) Absolutely essential ! …this is an Athlete’s Dose
- Vitamin K-2 ( As MK-7 ) (Sports-Research) ( Bone – Heart – Sleep – Anti Cancer. ) Essential compliment to D-3 -No K2 when I eat Liver.
- Whey Concentrate Protein ( “Pure Whey” – Grass-Fed) Never fall for Isolates that are nutritionally inferior to concentrate. These proteins are Non-GMO-Grass-fed sources..NO Soy. From California Dairies.
- Protein from supplements at 60g. From food 190 -210+ g. Total Protein about 1.26 – 1.36 g per pound of Body Weight
- Creatine 3-5g daily
- Beef Tallow for greasing pans and High heat cooking
- Ghee for cooking Eggs
- Beef Tallow for cooking Liver
- Levothyroxine – 112 mcg. Daily (Thyroid)..recently lowered from 150mcg.. due to dietary changes.
- Baby Aspirin (81mg.) – (Lifetime now)..anti-platelet. (Heart Attack & Stroke Prevention)
Food Choices: ( See also – Carnivore Diet)
- Beef ( NY or Sirloin Cuts-Eye of Round Roast-Lean Ground Beef )– Free Range Chicken ( Hormone- Antibiotic Free )- Beef Liver 3 times+ per week.Wild Caught ( Maximum 1 times per week ) Seafood ( Mostly Salmon or Yellow Fin Tuna ) Once a week to limit Mercury exposure…some Pork. Fish.
- Grass fed Whey Concentrate Protein – See Below (Smoothie)
- Organic Butter : ( Preferably Grass fed ie, “Kerry Gold“)
- Smoothie Shake = Pure Brand – California “Grass-fed” Whey Protein- ..add 5g Creatine -Fresh Blueberries–Banana-1tsp Ginger— Avocado (non workout day) MCT Oil on Workout Day – Almond/Coconut Milk.- L-Glycine (2g). Luecine 4g. –1/4teaspoon Ginger.***Note: I throw everything in here…usually at midday to early pm.and a smaller shake on workout day with limited ingredients in a pre-workout formula (Protein-Blueberry’s-MCT oil-Luecine-Glycine)
- White Rice and White Potatoes (Occasional Sweet Potato)…See vertical diet/ much easier to digest than Sweet Potato’s and less sugars.
- Beets Peas and green Beans as side dishes.
Master Avoidance List
NO NSAIDS !! — No Pain Meds of any kind.
NO STATINS !!…Dr. insisted I take Lipitor after MI….but I woke up!
Examples of ultra-processed foods include breakfast cereals, pizza, chicken nuggets, soda, chips and other salty/sweet/savory snacks, packaged baked goods, microwaveable frozen meals, instant soups and sauces and much more. More generally, ultra-processed foods can be defined as food products containing one or more of the following:
- Ingredients that are not traditionally used in cooking
- Unnaturally high amounts of sugar, salt, processed industrial oils and unhealthy fats ( Read the ingredients closely!)
- Artificial flavors, colors, chemical sweeteners and other additives that imitate sensorial qualities of unprocessed or minimally processed foods (examples include additives that create textures and pleasing mouth-feel)
- Preservatives and chemicals that impart an unnaturally long shelf-life
- Genetically engineered (GE) ingredients, which in addition to carrying potential health risks also tend to be heavily contaminated with toxic herbicides such as glyphosate, 2,4-D and dicamba
- Unsprouted grains. If consuming grains (which are best avoided altogether), make sure they’re sprouted. Unsprouted grains, sugar or fructose decrease seven of the 12 most important hormones
- Not only is sugar a highly addictive substance (surpassing that of cocaine, according to some studies), but other ingredients are also highly addictive, especially salt and fat. In fact, the processed food industry has developed “craveabilty” into an art form. Nothing is left to chance, and by making their foods addictive, manufacturers ensure repeat sales.
- Sugar and fructose, including fresh fruit juice, as the rapid sugar spike effectively blocks hormone secretion; choose low-fructose fruits
- No alcohol consumption, as this decreases your growth hormone production. Having just one alcoholic drink per day can decrease your HGH by 75 percent!…yiikes!!
- Avoid exogenous Opioids at all costs. They will destroy your immune system (among other things!).
- No Cows Milk! (Supply is contaminated) High Phospahtes
- I do eat Eggs in limited amounts
- No Casein and Gluten-What many don’t realize is that part of the problem stems from the fact that gluteomorphins (from gluten) and caseomorphins (from casein) act as exogenous opioids which are proven to harm your immune system. Virtually anyone suffering with an autoimmune problem, be it multiple sclerosis (MS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), or Hashimoto’s (autoimmune thyroid disease), just to name a few, would be wise to try a gluten- and dairy-free diet to help optimize immune function. (Grass-fed ghee can be used, as it’s very low in casein.)
- High intensity Strength athletes need more Salt (Unless a medical Condition that Salt Aggravates exists)
- Add “Redmond’s” Ancient Salt mined in Utah…3grams upon waking.
Facts for Athletes
Eating meat won’t give you heart disease. Saturated fat does not clog arteries and dietary cholesterol has no impact on blood cholesterol.
Not all meats are the same. Processed meats aren’t as healthy as unprocessed.
Not all fats are the same. Polyunsaturated fats are associated with heart disease; saturated fats are not.
The widely quoted China Study is a farce. Yet meat-free dieters use it to support their claims even though it’s been proven highly inaccurate.
Vegans and vegetarians don’t stave off disease. Their disease rates are not lower than that of meat-eating populations.
Crops aren’t more ethical than raising cows. They destroy land, use more resources than you’d imagine, and kill more animals than you know.
Plant proteins aren’t effective proteins. They cause more nutritional deficiencies than avoiding them altogether.